It is a condition where breast tissue in males is enlarged because of imbalance in oestrogen and testosterone hormones. Gynecomastia can affect one or both breasts in new-borns, boys during puberty and in older men.
WHAT CAUSES GYNAECOMASTIA?
It happens because of the decrease in the amount of mainly testosterone hormones as compared to oestrogen. The causes in decrease include:
- Natural Hormonal Changes: Sometimes this condition is caused because of natural change in hormones or imbalance in testosterone hormones. In infants, it could be caused because of the high oestrogen level in their mother and during puberty, it is generally caused because of hormonal changes.
- Medications: A number of medications like antibiotics, anti-androgens, steroids and some treatments can cause this condition.
- Health Conditions: Various health conditions like ageing, tumours, liver failure, kidney failure, malnutrition and starvation, hyperthyroidism etc. can cause gynecomastia.
The symptoms are usually self-diagnosable yet common symptoms of gynecomastia include:
- Swelling in breast tissue.
- Tenderness and discomfort in breasts.
- Increase in weight can also lead to gynecomastia.
- Breast enlargement and lumps in the breast could be felt.
HOW GYNAECOMASTIA IS DIAGNOSED?
Your doctor may ask you about your medical conditions and health history. Also, your doctor may conduct physical examination where evaluation of breast tissue, genitals and abdomen is being done. Initial tests include blood tests, mammograms, testicular ultrasound, helps in diagnosis of gynecomastia.
WHAT ARE POSSIBLE TREATMENT METHODS OF GYNAECOMASTIA?
It is advisable to undergo this surgery from a trained surgeon who has a lot of experience in carrying out this surgery. Dr. Harkirandeep Singh is a well-experienced plastic surgeon in Amritsar who specially trains to perform body contouring surgery. His experience would certainly give a satisfactory result.
- There are various treatment measures that can be used to cure the underlying condition causing gynecomastia. Some of the possible and successful treatment measures are:
- Self-Care: Your doctor might ask you to reduce weight that improves cardiovascular health and reduces with risk related to it.
- Medications: Your doctor might recommend you with medications to cure the hormonal imbalance in the body. Also, if gynecomastia is caused by a specific disease, in that case, you might be prescribed with medications accordingly.
- Surgery: Despite initial treatment and general techniques used to cure this condition didn’t work for you, then your doctor might advise you with surgery. The surgical options include- liposuction (it removes breast fat) and mastectomy (in this type of surgery breast gland tissue is being removed)
CHOOSING A SURGEON
For a better understanding of this health issue, you might like to connect with a plastic surgeon or other specialist. Dr. Harkirandeep Singh is the best plastic surgeon in Amritsar who would clear your doubts about this disease and would treat you with a holistic treatment program.